Yorkshire Society Plaques
The Yorkshire Society proudly erects plaques to commemorate Yorkshire men and women who, during their lifetime, achieved great things, gave exceptional service or contributed significantly to the County. Some are household names, some unsung heroes, but all are worthy of our utmost respect and pride.
Adding to the recognition of worthy individuals, the Society now also recognise notable business achievement, historic events and places of significant interest too.
Our plaques are made in Yorkshire of cast-iron and hand painted. For individuals we use a traditional blue disc with white lettering, and for businesses the plaque is larger and reversed, with a white background and blue lettering.
Plaques for events and places are bespoke to the circumstances.
WANT TO MAKE A NOMINATION?
- Blue plaques are awarded for people who died at least 2 years previous to the date of nomination.
- Corporate plaques are only awarded to going concerns on merit.
- Other plaques are awarded based on their individual merits.
- All nominations will be considered by the Society against its plaque policy.
- The process of nomination, consideration, investigation, approval and production can take up to 6 months.
- Nomination is not a guarantee that a plaque will be awarded.
- The Society’s decision is final and we reserve the right to change a decision should circumstances or information change.
- Funding of plaques is subject to individual circumstances and either by the Society, sponsor, the recipient or their representatives.